Skip to main content

Learning to Knit!


If you have been following the winter weather system you know that the south east has been hit by snow storm, after snow storm. Which in my little bubble means snow days. During these snow days we make soup and enjoy cocoa and cookies but I decided I wanted to learn something new. Try to make these snow days useful. So I started to learn how to knit. 
First, I did not have knitting needles, I use chop sticks and yarn I had on hand. I had to learn how to cast on, the knit stitch and purl stitch. I didn't know that the patterns of these two stitches creates different designs and beautiful texture to your knitted fabric. It makes sense to learn how to knit if you sew because we deal with fabrics all of the time. 
Then I saw this on Ravelry. Ravelry is a free site for knitters and crocheters. This is also a great place to get inspiration, patterns and meet people. This sweater is called the Antrorse Sweater by Shannon Cook. It is available as a PDF pattern or in her new book called Journey.
So I bought a size 10, 32" long circular knitting needle and yarn from Quince and Co., Osprey
I decided this would be my first project. I know I am a little crazy!! I have heard this from everyone around me. "Start with dishcloths, a scarf or hat, NOT a sweater. You are Crazy!" But this is what I wanted to do, I am making it. When I started to sew it was the same way. I didn't start with a pillow, I started with bags!! I love bags! Make what you love! 
Anyway, here are some pictures of my sweater project.
This is the funnel neck with buttonholes. In this part of the project I had to learn how to long tail cast on, make one left, make one right, and all in one buttonhole round. 
Knitting is a craft that takes time and patience.
This is the funnel neck, yoke and the arm holes created. I love the chevron design in the center. I hope I will be able to complete it before the winter weather lets up. One great thing about knitting is if you make a mistake you can take it apart and try again. Unlike sewing when you cut the wrong size out of your expensive fabric. 
Do you knit? How did you learn? What other knitting websites are helpful?
Thanks,

Comments

You are such a pro beginner! My first projects were holey, lumpy messes. Ravelry is the most obvious and amazing knitting website, but KnittingHelp and YouTube videos help immensely too.

I totally agree about sewing and knitting complementing each other. The fantastic thing about knitting is that you get to create your fabric as you go!
Eileen said…
Ravelry is the BEST! Knitting is so much more portable than sewing. I never leave home without a project. You never know when you might have time on your hands.

Popular posts from this blog

Fun in the Sun Mermaid Tutorial

Sewing Materials: 1/4 yard of Lycra or  5T or larger old swimsuit Thread Stretch Needle (helps) Sewing Machine and Sewing Notions Print the PDF patterns pieces out and tape them together. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 1: Cutting Layout-  Place the templates over the fabric and cut. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 2:   Fold the top edges of the mermaid tail and sew across. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 3: Place the mermaid tale pieces right sides together. Sew around the mermaid tail using the stretch stitch, it looks like a bolt of lighting. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 4: Flip the mermaid tail right side out using a chopstick.   Option: You can add Poly-fil to make the end of the tale puffy.   Set aside. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Bodice   Step 1: Cut a bodice measuring  4.5” X1.5” or use template. ✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄✄ ✄✄✄✄ ✄✄ Step 2: Fold the bodice right sides together and sew the  short ends making a loop. Use the edge of the presser foot for your seam a

How to Line an A-Line Skirt Tutorial

 After you find an A-line skirt pattern , I am using  One Yard Wonders 101  template . Make a muslin of your skirt! It only takes a few minutes to make a muslin version. Just baste stitch the side seams and make adjustments for your hips. Once your template is right you can make all the skirts your heart desires, so it is important to get the perfect fit first. Now we are ready to cut the "good" fabric and sew! ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- Flip the skirt right side out and put it on!! You are done!! It is super easy and your new skirt will look store made.  Plus there is no hand stitching the lining to the main fabric. If you have any questions please comment below or email me at leah.sewspoiled@gmail.com .  WooHooo!! A-Line Skirt Pattern Finds

Sweet Coin Purse Tutorial for Teacher Gifts

This time of year is so special to me because I get to show my gratitude for all of the hard work that goes into teaching my daughters. I love to make handmade gifts and this year is no exception. Since money does not grow on trees around here, I looked at my stash (I keep my scraps in hat boxes ) and tried to see what I had a lot of; small zippers, trims, Peltex strips ( from making iPad cases ), fabric scraps and some hardware for key fobs. So I set to work.  Materials: Plastic multipurpose 5" Zipper  Fabric Scraps Lightweight interfacing 808 Pellon Trims (We clipped  key fobs  with 1.5" swivel hooks onto our coin purses . There are tons of tutorials on making key fobs .) Step 1: Print out the Coin Purse Template  PDF.  Cut 2 main fabric, cut 2 lining and 2 interfacing using the template.  Optional: Cut a 2"X2" square of your choice main fabric or lining. This strip of fabric is used to clip a key fob to your coin purse later. We used a 1.5